Table of Contents

    Visa Information Tool





    Switzerland Work Visa

    If you are a goal-oriented person seeking a perfect workplace, Switzerland is the right place for you.

    Table of Contents

      Switzerland is a hilly country in Central Europe with countless majestic lakes, captivating villages and the high peaks of the Himalayas. In Switzerland, you can realise your dreams by working hard, and here you will enjoy a high-quality living style and a top quality of food. Cities of Switzerland are famous for the prime quality of life all over the world. If you want to work in Switzerland, you will need to have a Switzerland Work Visa.


      How to get a Switzerland Work Visa?

      The process of getting a Swiss Work Visa depends on your nationality. There are different rules for EU/EFTA residents and non-EU/EFTA residents.

      For EU/EFTA residents

      If you are an EU/EFTA resident, you can enter Switzerland and stay there for up to 90-days without a visa. Click here to see the list of these countries that can enter Switzerland without a visa.

      But if you want to work in Switzerland and stay longer than 90-days, you have to apply for a residence permit, which will allow you to work in the state legally. You do not need to apply for a Switzerland Work Visa separately from your country before entering Switzerland. 

      Note that an EU/EFTA resident can get a work or residence permit more quickly than a non-EU/EFTA resident.

      For Non-EU/EFTA residents

      If you are a resident of any non-EU/EFTA country, you will need to apply for a Switzerland Work Visa. Before applying for a work visa, you have to meet the following conditions:

      • You must be an expert and qualified worker
      • You must have a job before applying for a work visa
      • If no EU/EFTA resident is eligible for the job in Switzerland
      • If the yearly quotas for Swiss Work Visas allow it

      After this, your employer/company has to apply for your residence permit, and you can then apply for your Switzerland Work Visa.


      When to apply for a Switzerland Work Visa?

      Initially, your employer needs to apply for a residence permit at the local cantonal employment services in Switzerland on your behalf. A residence permit will permit you to work in the state. After this, you need to apply for a Switzerland Work Visa from your native country.

      Switzerland Work Visa is a type of Switzerland Long-Stay Visa (National visa or type D-visa). It will allow you to enter Switzerland for employment purposes. It will cost you about USD 88.

      What will be the Required document for a Switzerland Work Visa?

      You will need to have the following required documents to get a work visa for Switzerland.

      1. Completed Long-Stay Visa Application Form (three)

      2. Valid passport

      3. Passport-size pictures (recent)

      4. Job contract (two copies)

      5. Proof of your employment

      6. Evidence of your qualification, i.e., diplomas, certificates, etc

      7. Information about your current education

      8. CV

      If you are from the EU, you have to provide the following documents for a residence permit:

      1. Valid passport

      2. Rental agreement

      3. Passport-sized photos

      4. Employment contract 

      Note that all the documents must be into German, French, Italian, or English language.


      Types of Residence permits for a Switzerland Work Visa

      There are the following types of residence permits, which you can have with a Switzerland work visa.

      1. Permit L

      It is for Short-Term residence and issued for up to a year. It allows you to work only for a specific employer and company. In certain conditions, you can extend the permit for one more year, but you cannot stay more than 24 months with a Permit L.

      2. Permit B

      It is for Temporary/Initial residence and issued for a year. Annually it can be renewed. If you live in Switzerland with this type of permit for ten years continuously, you will be eligible to apply for a Permit C (permanent residence permit).

      3. Permit C

      It is for Permanent residence. If you are in Switzerland for ten years continuously, then only you are eligible to apply for Permit C (Permanent residence). It will allow you to work for any employer and you can also change your job. 

      Permit C is the only type of residence permit in Switzerland that allows self-employment.

      Click here to know about the Visit Visa for Switzerland.

      Visa Information Tool