Canada is a highly developed country with outstanding teaching methodology and worthwhile degrees.
Table of Contents
Canada is a state in North America with a quite robust economy. It is not only a famous tourist destination but also an attractive study abroad destination for international students.
It is globally known for its high-quality education. Every year, millions of students choose to study in Canada. There are tons of post-graduation opportunities that you can avail of after completing your studies.
The degrees of Canadian universities are valuable worldwide, and Canadian graduates can easily make their career in any country. If you wish to study in Canada, you need to apply for a student visa and a study permit. So, let’s move forward to know all the details you need to know.
What is a Canada Student Visa?
To study in Canada, you need to apply for a Canada Student Visa. It will allow you to enter the state for study purposes. Before you arrive in Canada, you need to apply for a study permit. It will enable you to stay in Canada for the duration of your study program. You have three ways to obtain a study permit.
Outside of Canada
Inside of Canada
At the Canadian Port of Entry (POE)
Moreover, for each way, you need to apply in paper format or through the online system. If you are a resident of China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal, or Vietnam, you can get your study permit by applying online through the Student Direct Stream.
Eligibility conditions for the Canada Student Visa
To get a student visa for Canada, you must meet the following conditions.
You are eligible to obtain a Canada Student Visa only if you are enrolled in a Designated Learning Institution. The DLIs are universities or schools approved by the provincial government to permit them to host international students. Moreover, all the primary and secondary schools in Canada are by default Designated Learning Institutions. But there are various universities or educational institutions which are not authenticated DLIs. Thus, you must not apply to those educational institutions because you cannot attend them even if they enrolled you.
Who does not need a Canada Study Permit?
If you meet any of the following conditions, you do not need a study permit to study in Canada:
1. Your study program is not more than six months.
2. You are a staff or a family member of a diplomatic mission to Canada which is certified by Global Affairs Canada.
3. If you are a part of the foreign armed forces in Canada, and you are on duty.
4. You have a Registered Indian Status in Canada, even though you are a citizen of another state.
5. If you are a minor child, and:
i. You are in kindergarten
ii. You are a refugee or refugee claimant, or your parents are refugees or refugee claimants
iii. You are in pre-school, primary or secondary school, and your parents are allowed to work or study in Canada.
Requirements for a Canada Student Visa
You need the following documents to obtain a student visa for Canada.
6. A declaration letter directed to the government of Canada where you describe why they should grant you a study permit and visa
7. Medical insurance
8. Your education status, i.e. resume
9. Proof that shows you have enough financial means to cover the expenses of studying in Canada, i.e. A bank statement for the last four months or Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) issued by a Canadian financial institution
10. All the documents must be either in English or French.
Note that: If you wish to study in Quebec, then you need to submit a CAQ (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec) issued by the Quebec government. Your educational institution will guide you on how to apply for a CAQ.
Cost of the Canada Student Visa
It will cost:
For Study permit: $150 (Including applications for extension)